Norwegian Social Research – NOVA – is delighted to invite you to the 2012 RC19 annual conference in Oslo. The organizers invite theoretical and empirical papers on poverty, social welfare and social policy (www.isa-sociology.org/rc19.htm).
The conference will take place 23-25 August, 2012, at Quality Hotel 33, Oslo.
Deadline for registration: 1 May 2012
Welfare States Facing Global Turbulence, Ageing and Migration:
Rising to the Occasion, Coping or Adjusting Downwards?
RC 19 2012, Oslo, Norway
23-25 August, 2012
Visit the conference web site: www.nova.no/rc19oslo
The conference’s main theme is the impact of global interdependencies, demographic change, migration flows and the ways in which welfare states are responding to these challenges. This thematic profile means that the organizers in particular welcome papers dealing with these issues:
- How are welfare states meeting the increasing global economic turbulence?
- To what extent do the governments’ adjustments follow recommendations or requirements of transnational organizations?
- How do different welfare societies deal with the rising care needs related to ageing and what consequences do these responses have?
- How does the meeting of care needs reinforce global care-chains and highlight migration’s gendered consequences both in sending and receiving countries?
- Are perceived challenges created by migration and accommodation to diversity influencing public opinion and the electoral support for migration policies and/or redistributive welfare arrangements?
The final conference of the Nordic Centre of Excellence in Welfare Research ‘Reassessing the Nordic Welfare Model’ (www.reassess.no) will take place August 21-22 at the same venue as the RC 19 conference. Members of RC 19 are welcome to register for both events. More information about both events will follow.
If you have any questions, please contact the leader of the local organizing committee, Bjørn Hvinden: email@example.com. Until the conference webpage is operative in January, please send abstracts to his e-mail address.
We look forward to seeing you in Oslo!
Head of Research, NOVA